How to prevent gum disease and keep your teeth healthy in Manhattan Beach, CA
When most people think of a dentist, the first thing that comes to mind is keeping their teeth clean and healthy. But did you know that your gums are just as important for not only your oral health but also your overall health and well-being? At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, our team of professionals is here to help you achieve a beautiful, healthy smile and answer your questions at every step of the way. Below, we discuss some tips on how to prevent gum disease and keep your teeth healthy so you can be proud of your pearly white smile!
The importance of healthy gums and teeth
There are many reasons why it is important to keep both your teeth and gums healthy. Perhaps of most importance, when you are confident in your smile, it creates a ripple effect on your whole life, much like the rings of water that form after a stone is thrown into a pond. Studies have shown that there are a number of positive effects of smiling, including a better mood and even making you look younger and thinner! A beautiful smile exudes health, happiness, and competency to others and can have a positive effect on all aspects of your work and home life. Other important reasons for maintaining good oral health include:
- Preventing disease progression: When gum disease or tooth decay begins, it is often manageable with simple treatments; however, if it is left untreated, it can lead to a cascade of negative effects on your whole mouth, including gum recession, tooth loss, jaw bone loss, infections, and more
- Maintaining your overall health: Gum disease has been linked to several deadly systemic conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, pre-term labor in pregnant women, and more – in other words, the health of your gums can impact the health of your whole body
- Keeping your budget: when your teeth are healthy, you do not need to pay for costly dental treatments to fix decaying or missing teeth
It is never to let to improve gum health. Please call(310) 340-6663
to schedule an appointment at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions.
Tips for preventing gum disease and keeping your teeth healthy
There are a few steps you can take at home to ensure that your gums and teeth remain healthy for your lifetime. The top tips from our Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions team for maintaining your oral health are:
- Brush your teeth after every meal with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- When you are brushing, make sure you are using the proper method, so you don’t accidentally cause issues such as gum recession from brushing too hard or tooth decay because of missed nooks and crannies
- Use a toothpaste that has the seal of acceptance by the American Dental Association; this is easily visible on the box or toothpaste tube on approved toothpaste
- Floss at least one time per day to help remove food debris and bacteria between your teeth and gums
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to get rid of any remaining bacteria that brushing and flossing have not eliminated
- Visit the dentist twice per year for a professional cleaning and check-up
The importance of flossing in gum health cannot be overstated. Many people think that brushing alone will keep their mouth healthy, but that is simply not true. Flossing with interdental cleaners, typical string floss, or other similar devices is the only way to effectively clean the crevices between the teeth and between the teeth and gum line, where bacteria and plaque love to congregate. By flossing daily, you minimize the chances of bacteria from accumulating in those areas and causing the negative symptoms of gum inflammation and disease, such as red, puffy gums, bleeding gums, receding gums, and loose teeth.
Similarly, it is common for people to think they don’t need to go to the dentist on a regular basis because they take good care of their teeth at home. Professional cleaning is the only way to remove any hardened plaque, also called tartar. As more and more tartar forms on teeth, gum disease and tooth decay become more likely, so it is important to have it regularly removed from your teeth. Additionally, the dentist can check for any signs of gum inflammation or areas of decay and work with you to treat them before they progress into more advanced stages that are much harder and costlier to treat. Screenings for oral cancer are also done at routine hygiene visits.
If you are in need of your semi-annual dental cleaning and examination, we encourage you to call Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to schedule an appointment today! Our conveniently located office in Manhattan Beach, CA can be reached at (310) 340-6663.
Back to Gum Disease Page