Dental bridges are secure, natural-looking dental restorations that replace one missing tooth or a few missing teeth in the same area of the mouth. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, we offer this conservative, long-lasting tooth replacement option for qualified dental patients.
How a Dental Bridge Works
Dental bridges “bridge” the gap between teeth that is left by a missing tooth or two. For this solution to work effectively, the nearby teeth must be healthy enough to support all components of the bridge. Here is how the procedure works:
- Examination: Your Manhattan Beach dentist will conduct an examination to review your oral health. If you suffer from gum disease, your mouth will need to be treated for this infection before any restorations can be done. If the tooth was lost in an accident or sporting event, or was extracted because of deep decay, the area will need to heal first.
- Creation: Bridges can be made of several different materials, though porcelain fused to ceramic or porcelain fused to metal are the usual choices. This element will be determined based on your budget, preference, and your dentist’s recommendations. Both options deliver a strong, customized restoration. Time is also needed for the creation of the porcelain crowns that are part of this restoration.
- Preparation: Once it is determined that a dental bridge is the right solution to replace your missing tooth, the teeth on either side of the gap will need to be prepped. This involves some shaving down of the tooth enamel to make room for the bridge and all its parts.
- Application: The bridge, which supports a false tooth, will be clasped to the neighboring teeth that have already been prepped. Then, customized porcelain crowns will be placed over those prepared teeth to anchor the entire bridge in place.
Why You Must Replace Missing Teeth
Missing teeth are a problem both aesthetically and functionally. If you do not replace them, many unwanted side effects will occur over time. These could include:
- Shifting teeth: It won’t happen immediately but, over time, teeth on either side of a missing tooth will move to fill the open space, causing misalignment, tissue damage, and gaps.
- Altered appearance: Every tooth in your mouth has multiple jobs, and one of the most important responsibilities is to maintain face shape. Neglect to replace missing teeth and you could end up with a compressed mouth that makes you look older than you are.
- Functional problems: It will be more difficult to bite and chew when you are missing teeth, and food will settle in the open spot in your smile. Your speech could also be affected, especially if the missing tooth is a prominent one, cause you to slur or lisp and draw even more attention to your missing tooth.
- Low self-esteem: Your teeth are the focal point of your face and a critical part of your appearance. If you’re embarrassed about missing a tooth or teeth, your confidence will take a major hit. You will be less likely to smile, laugh, speak up, or pose for photos. One simple dental restoration could change everything.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Dental Bridge?
You do not have to live with an incomplete smile that makes you feel self-conscious or interferes with your daily life. There is an affordable, minimally invasive dental solution that can give you back a fully functioning, beautiful smile. Contact Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mungcal or a member of his team and learn more about dental bridges. Find out if you’re a good candidate for this dental restoration.
There is an affordable, minimally invasive dental solution that can give you back a fully functioning, beautiful smile. CALL310-340-6663
to schedule a consultation.