Every broken tooth is a dental emergency. Even if it doesn’t hurt, even if it seems like a minor issue that can wait, problems can develop later that could have been avoided with early treatment. If you have a broken tooth of any shape or size, contact Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, to find out if you need to be seen and get treatment right away.
Types of broken teeth
One damaged tooth is a problem but, left untreated, it can also lead to bigger, more serious oral health complications. There are all types of broken teeth, including:
- Chipped tooth
- Cracked tooth
- Lost filling
- Broken crown
- Damaged veneer
The severity of the broken tooth determines what kind of repair or repairs you need. It’s your Manhattan Beach dentist’s job to diagnose the circumstances.
Your dentist will want to know how the tooth broke – was it from grinding your teeth, a sporting injury, a car accident, biting down wrong, a fall, deteriorating dental work, your child accidentally hitting you in the mouth with a toy? It’s critical for your dentist to know if this was a one-time thing or the start of a problem that requires preventive care (like a mouth guard) as well as emergency dental care.
Restorative dentistry for a broken tooth
There are many ways to fix a broken tooth, depending on which tooth is damaged and the severity of the damage. For patients who are in extreme pain or have severe dental anxiety about getting their repair take care of, sedation dentistry is always an option to make it easier for you to get through treatment.
Dental restorations for a broken tooth can include the following:
- Tooth-colored filling: Fillings aren’t just for fixing cavities. A minor tooth break can sometimes be corrected with a tooth-colored filling that matches the natural color of your tooth enamel and delivers a strong repair.
- Root canal therapy: Sometimes a tooth is broken so badly that it is damaged all the way to its nerve and roots. In this situation, root canal therapy will be necessary to stop the pain and save the tooth.
- Porcelain crown: When a tooth is so badly broken that the more conservative repairs – like a filling can’t fix the damage, a porcelain crown is the best solution. This customized treatment is known as a cap and fits right over your tooth so it blends in with the rest of your smile in shape, size, and color and protects the tooth completely. With the technology we have available, we can fabricate your crown that same day so that you don’t have to walk around with the embarrassment of a broken tooth!
- Tooth extraction: Tooth extraction is always the last resort for any dentist. They will do everything possible to save a tooth first. Unfortunately, some circumstances are more serious and call for a tooth extraction, but the tooth can later be replaced by a dental implant or dental bridge so your smile will be complete again.
Cost factors for fixing a broken tooth
Your teeth are very strong but a broken teeth can and do happen. Don’t let the cost factors stop you from getting the necessary dental repairs. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, we offer multiple ways to afford your dental care, including flexible monthly payments through Sunbit Financing. It’s important to us that you get the oral health care you need when you need it and we work with you to make that possible.
Here are cost factors of a broken tooth that must be taken into consideration:
- Whether it is a dental emergency
- Severity of the break
- Location of the damaged tooth
- What repair(s) is needed
- Materials used
- Location of the dental office
Get emergency dental care for a broken tooth in Manhattan Beach
If you have a broken tooth, don’t wait to call your dentist. Dr. Don Mungcal and his team at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions wants to hear from you right away so we can help you right away. Contact us immediately to find out if you need to be seen today.
If you have a broken tooth, don’t wait to call your dentist. Dr. Don Mungcal and his team at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions wants to hear from you right away310-340-6663