No one wants to lose a tooth and have their smile interrupted or suffer the adverse effects of a missing tooth. Sometimes, though, teeth extractions are necessary to protect your oral health. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, Dr. Don Mungcal and his team do everything possible to save a damaged tooth before opting for extraction, always making the most appropriate decision for your unique oral health.
Reasons teeth extractions are necessary
Depending on the condition of a compromised tooth, your dentist will first consider viable dental restorations to repair the problem, such as a tooth-colored filling or root canal therapy. Unfortunately, even these solutions are not always enough to save a decayed, damaged, or diseased tooth and ensure that it will be restored to its original state and remain healthy and robust.
Sometimes, tooth extraction is necessary to get rid of a problem tooth and protect the rest of your oral health from developing unnecessary problems.
Teeth extractions provide immediate relief for issues such as:
- Severe tooth decay
- Tooth infection
- Advanced gum disease
- Bone fracture
- Broken tooth root
- Abscessed tooth
- Jaw trauma
The tooth extraction procedure
Tooth extraction is a common, routine procedure, but it does take time to complete. No matter how badly damaged your tooth is, it still has an established root system that needs to be removed along with the tooth’s crown.
Tooth extractions are done meticulously to make sure that every bit of the tooth is removed and nothing is left behind. Patients are typically given a numbing agent and, if desired, oral sedation to make the procedure easier to endure. Here is what can be expected in a tooth extraction:
- The tooth is shifted around in the socket until it separates completely from the ligament.
- Infected tissues and all other particles are removed.
- The socket is washed thoroughly.
- The socket is inspected to make sure no pieces are left behind.
- The extraction site is closed and prepped for future restorations.
Detailed aftercare instructions will be provided so the bleeding can be properly staunched and the area heals quickly and thoroughly.
Dental restorations after teeth extractions
It is vital to replace a tooth that has been extracted. Even if you lost a molar and it’s barely noticeable, understand that this condition is more than a cosmetic issue. Every tooth in your mouth is integral to your oral health. An absent tooth must be replaced for your smile to look right and for your bite to function properly.
You and your dentist will discuss tooth restorations before your extraction, and once the extraction site has fully healed, the repair can begin. The right solution will depend on the location of your missing tooth, budget, and preferences. The most common fixes after teeth extractions are:
- Dental implant: Secure, permanent, natural-looking dental restoration that replaces tooth root and crown for a complete repair above and below the gum line. This is the best, longest-lasting solution.
- Dental bridge: Bridges the gap between two teeth and is anchored in place with customized porcelain crowns. These are difficult to keep clean over time. We also have to shave down other healthy teeth in order to place the bridge.
- Partial denture: A removable appliance or a restoration that can be combined with a dental implant for a more solid solution. They come in and out. They can compromise your ability to taste food (especially when worn on the upper jaw). You will still have missing teeth. This is really just a band-aid.
Cost factors of teeth extractions
Your Manhattan Beach dentist offers various financing options that make the cost factors of tooth extractions reasonable. Here are the elements typically included in the cost:
- Whether the procedure is routine or an emergency
- How many teeth are extracted
- The location of the tooth
- Repairs needed for neighboring teeth
- Sedation dentistry
- Dental restorations after extraction
Get a tooth extraction from your Manhattan Beach Dentist
If teeth extractions are necessary, you are in good hands with Dr. Mungcal. Contact us immediately if you have a dental emergency or need help with a problem tooth.
AT MANHATTAN BEACH DENTAL SOLUTIONS, YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF EMERGENCY DENTISTRY OR DENTAL RESTORATIONS YOU NEED.310-340-6663