Cavity prevention is important for everyone to prevent toothaches, infections, and serious dental problems. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, we help all our patients identify the habits that lead to decay and support them in developing a routine to keep their teeth healthy.
Are You Prone to Developing Cavities?
If you tend to suffer from a lot of cavities, you might fit into one of the following categories of common causes of tooth decay:
- Genetics: Some people are simply born with thin tooth enamel. This characteristic makes them far more susceptible to tooth decay.
- Hygiene: If you aren’t brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once a day, you’re not doing enough to take care of your oral health.
- Habits: Do you rely on energy drinks, sports drinks, or colas to get you through the day? Any sugar-heavy beverages like these eat away at tooth enamel.
- Anxiety: There are many people who have dental anxiety and avoid going to the dentist because of it, even for something as simple as a cleaning. Without your dentist’s support, cavities and other oral health problems are far more likely to develop.
Succeed at Cavity Prevention with Your Manhattan Beach Dentist’s Help
One of the most effective ways to succeed at cavity prevention is to visit your dentist regularly. The recommendation is for everyone to see their dentist every six months for a thorough teeth cleaning and checkup. Here is what you can expect at each visit:
- Teeth cleaning: There is no topping the effectiveness of the dental hygienist’s tools, which are used to scrape away plaque buildup and bacteria that are difficult to remove from your teeth on your own. The hygienist will floss your teeth thoroughly and make recommendations about cleaning tools to use at home.
- Polishing: Once the cleaning is complete, teeth are polished to a high shine. This not only brightens your teeth and makes them look white and bright, it helps protect them from buildup for a little while (as long as you keep brushing too).
- Dental exam: Your hygienist will keep an eye out for trouble spots in your mouth and discuss any areas that might be troubling you. Then your dentist will conduct a thorough examination to assess suspicious areas. Recommendations will be made to address developing problems and serve as another form of cavity prevention.
- X-rays: Digital x-rays are taken as needed or according to your dental insurance allowance, but they are an invaluable resource that shows any tooth decay that might be developing under the gumline.
Lifestyle and Oral Hygiene Tips for Cavity Prevention
If you examine your lifestyle preferences and oral hygiene habits and adjusts where necessary, you can do your part to keep tooth decay far away from your smile.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day or use a water pik.
- Ask your dentist whether you are a candidate for dental sealants.
- Discuss fluoride treatments with your dentist.
- Drink water frequently, especially after meals.
- Avoid frequent snacking and sipping on beverages to avoid constant sugar baths.
- Reduce consumption of sugary or acidic beverages.
Get Cavity Prevention in Manhattan Beach
There is nothing to be ashamed of if you find yourself with frequent cavities – your dentist is there to help you maintain your oral health and achieve strong teeth and gums. Work together to discover the best methods of cavity prevention, even if you don’t have dental insurance or have anxiety about going to the dentist. There are always ways to make every visit comfortable and easy so you get the oral healthcare you need. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
There are always ways to make every visit comfortable and easy so you get the oral healthcare you need. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.310-340-6663