Taking care of children and their teeth requires patience, gentleness, and a good sense of humor. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, our dental team works hard to welcome our youngest patients and help them establish positive relationships with their oral health and their dentist, so they can maintain a lifetime of good oral health.
Oral Health Challenges for Kids
There is a lot going on in the mouths of kids. Teeth emerge, they’re lost, they erupt again. It’s a process that lasts into the beginning of the teenage years. Tending to their oral health can be confusing and not a priority for children. But it is a priority in pediatric dentistry. Here are some of the oral health challenges for kids that we address:
- Fear of the dentist: Books, shows, and sometimes the people around them can put ideas in a child’s head that presents dentistry as scary. We introduce our youngest patients to equipment, people, and techniques so anxiety doesn’t have an opportunity to take root.
- Poor brushing techniques: Kids don’t intuitively know how to take care of their teeth, but our dental team demonstrates the best, easiest techniques to ensure children get in all the nooks and crannies (with a grown-up’s help) when brushing and flossing.
- Misunderstanding of dental care: A healthy smile is important, and so are clean, white, healthy teeth and gums. Part of pediatric dentistry is to explain and reinforce the necessity of dental care so kids always understand why they’re at the dentist.
Common Procedures in Pediatric Dentistry
Most of the pediatric dentistry treatments given to children are also given to adults, with a few special exceptions.
- Dental exam: Your Manhattan Beach pediatric dentist reviews your child’s oral health for any problematic areas and examines dental development.
- Teeth cleaning: Teeth cleanings every six months are the foundation of good oral health and the backbone of preventive dental care. The dental hygienist removes all plaque and tartar and polishes teeth until they shine.
- Digital x-rays: Digital imaging makes it easy to take x-rays for children so your dentist can see if there is anything going on within the teeth or under the gumline.
- Fluoride treatments: Applied after every teeth cleaning, a fluoride treatment is a varnish that helps strengthen teeth and prevent against tooth decay.
- Sealants: Newly erupted permanent molars are coated on the chewing surface with a sealant to help ward off cavities.
- Tooth-colored fillings: If tooth decay develops, it can be treated with composite white fillings that blend into your child’s smile instead of standing out.
Special Dental Care for Kids
Pediatric dentistry goes beyond just the basics of oral health care. Sometimes, children need special dental care, including:
- Orthodontic care: Your little kid may need a referral to an orthodontist for an evaluation or your teen may qualify for Invisalign.
- Emergency dentistry: A blow to the mouth, an accident, a toothache, and more may call for emergency dental care, and we provide it, no matter when a problem occurs.
- Sports mouth guards: Young athletes need special mouth guards to protect their teeth from damage when they’re on the field, rink, or court.
Schedule a Pediatric Dentistry Appointment in Manhattan Beach
At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, our dental team is honored to treat the youngest patients and support them in understanding the importance of their oral health and all the ways taking care of teeth can be fun. From gentle and high-energy office visits to recommendations about the best tools to use at home for brushing and flossing, we want to help every member of your family have healthy teeth at every age.
Contact us to schedule a pediatric dentistry consultation for the youngest and newest member of your household.
Contact us to schedule a pediatric dentistry consultation for the youngest and newest member of your household.310-340-6663