Dental crowns are a versatile dental solution that both restore and beautify teeth. This durable treatment, also known as a cap, is customized to your smile for a natural-looking, long-lasting solution. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, we use dental crowns to repair damaged or unsightly teeth and create amazing smile makeovers.
When might you need a dental crown?
Dental crowns are shaped like a natural tooth and fits over existing tooth structure, restoring both the appearance of your tooth and chewing function.
Your Manhattan Beach dentist may recommend a crown for many oral health problems, including:
- Fractured tooth: A crown protects a chipped or cracked tooth from being invaded by bacteria and food particles.
- Weak tooth: A fragile tooth that is susceptible to deterioration because of repeated decay, cracks, or breaks can be made strong again with a cap.
- Discolored tooth: A stained tooth that will not respond to professional teeth whitening can still be whitened up with a custom-made crown.
- Decayed tooth: Some cavities are so large that a tooth does not have enough enamel to support a tooth-colored filling, but a crown can cover the problem tooth perfectly.
- Infected tooth: When a tooth is so deeply infected that root canal therapy is necessary, a crown protects the treated tooth from further invasion or problems.
- Missing tooth: Porcelain crowns are part of a dental bridge solution for missing teeth and can also be attached to partial dentures or dental implants.
- Misshapen tooth: Some teeth are not the same shape or size as their neighbors, making them stand out in a bad way, but dental crowns help an oddly shaped tooth blend right in.
What to expect when you get a dental crown
The process for getting a dental crown typically takes two visits to your Manhattan Beach dentist. Here is what you can expect:
- Prep: The first appointment will involve the removal of damage, decay, and old restorative materials. Then the tooth will be pared down to make room for the crown to fit snugly. Your mouth is usually numbed so these steps can be completed without any discomfort.
- Temporary crown: You will not leave the dentist’s office with an unsightly half-treated tooth. A temporary restoration will be put in place to make your smile look natural and so you can speak and eat normally while you wait for the completion of your procedure.
- Creation: Impressions are taken at this first visit so your customized crown can be accurately created by the dental lab. Instructions about the color and shading of your crown will also be provided to the professional ceramicist. Depending on your preference, budget, and your dentist’s preferred materials, dental crowns can be made of all porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic zirconia, or metal.
- Placement: The temporary restoration and cement are removed and the new crown is put in place. Your dentist will check the fit of the crown and adjust it as necessary before bonding it permanently in place and polishing it to a brilliant shine so it blends in with the rest of your smile.
Get dental crowns in Manhattan Beach
Any tooth topped with a dental crown is automatically stronger, but this repair also reinforces the strength and solidity of neighboring teeth, protecting them from developing their own oral health complications. A conservative dental restoration that is minimally invasive, a dental crown corrects a compromised tooth, no matter the reason for the problem, and makes it look, feel, and function just like a normal tooth.
At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, you will receive compassionate, gentle, personalized care. Contact us to schedule your consultation and discuss whether dental crowns are the right solution for your oral health concerns.
At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, you will receive compassionate, gentle, personalized care. Call310-340-6663
to schedule an appointment.