Gum disease is serious. It requires your body to combat infection 24/7/365. In addition to devastating your smile, untreated gum disease can have grave health effects. Patients of all ages in Manhattan Beach, CA find compassionate treatment for this condition at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions.
Progression of gum disease
In the absence of good oral hygiene, bacteria form a sticky layer of plaque for protection as they feast on trapped bits of food debris. Their acidic excretions irritate soft tissues, triggering an inflammatory response that causes gums to loosen. These periodontal pockets allow bacteria to infiltrate deeper, where they attack connective tissue and bone.
Here is what you can expect from uncontrolled gum disease:
- Gingivitis presents as persistent foul breath and dark, blotchy, or puffy gums.
- You see blood when you brush or seepage on your pillowcase in the morning.
- Bacteria enter the blood stream, insidiously increasing risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and other systemic illnesses.
- You look “long in the tooth” as gums pull back.
- Exposed root surfaces become sensitive, and decay develops at the gum line.
- As the condition advances to periodontitis, teeth get loose from lack of support. They fall out or must be extracted.
- Jaw bone is resorbed by the body, giving the face a collapsed appearance.
Options in gum disease treatment at Manhattan Beach, CA practice
Gum disease can usually be prevented with daily brushing and flossing and regular dental checkups. However, even with great oral hygiene, some people are prone to gum disease due to heredity, pregnancy, medical conditions, or medications. The good news is that a personalized periodontal maintenance plan can keep your mouth healthy.
Our team focuses on identifying oral bacteria present in your mouth with a sophisticated DNA test. It helps the dentist determine which antibiotics and other medications will be most effective in conjunction with thorough cleaning. This eliminates problematic bacteria more effectively than aggressive scaling and root planing. Diseased gum tissue is painlessly removed with laser therapy, and at-home maintenance with custom fit trays and antibacterial gel helps to maintain a fresh, healthy mouth.
It is never to let to improve gum health. Please call(310) 340-6663
to schedule an appointment at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions.