Invisalign is a complex orthodontic treatment, and there is plenty of information available to digest. As you consider whether this cosmetic dentistry option is right for your smile, though, sometimes you just need the basics. Invisalign 101 from Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, delivers all the important info to get you started.
Invisalign By the Numbers
Invisalign is a little bit of a numbers game, and these are the digits you need to remember:
- 12 months: Invisalign takes about one year to complete, on average. Some patients need more time to get the job done, others need less. It depends on the complexity of your case and your compliance with wearing the trays.
- 20 to 22 hours: Aligners must be worn for 20 to 22 hours a day, without exception, and only removed for meals, snacks, and cleaning your teeth.
- 2 weeks: Your Manhattan Beach Invisalign provider will tell you the dates when you’re to switch to your next trays but typically each set is worn for 2 weeks. Every tray is important and must be worn without fail so all teeth get moved at the right time.
- 18 to 30 trays: Over the course of treatment, you will have 18 to 30 trays to wear to straighten your smile. This number will be determined at the very start and is unlikely to change.
- 6 to 8 weeks: You will visit your dentist every 6 to 8 weeks so he can evaluate your progress. This is also when you will pick up your next several weeks of aligners.
What It’s Like to Wear Invisalign
Invisalign is a commitment. You will have the daily obligation of wearing and cleaning your aligners so your teeth can move at the speed and in the order your dentist predetermined. It’s essential to work all things Invisalign into your normal routine and prioritize your treatment.
Here is some of what you can expect from wearing the trays:
- A little discomfort: The first several days of Invisalign will be uncomfortable. You will have something foreign in your mouth, look a little different even though the trays are clear, and feel odd. Plus, the trays will put pressure on your teeth as they move them – this is a good thing and will repeat every time you change trays so you must adjust to the feeling.
- Lots of comfort: Invisalign eliminates brackets and wires and replaces them with smooth, clear trays. These do not snag on the soft tissues of your mouth, nor are they super-noticeable. You’ll feel comfortable that you’re wearing such a discreet treatment.
- Extra cleaning: Morning and nighttime brushing and flossing is no longer enough when you’re an Invisalign wearer. You must clean your teeth and trays whenever the aligners come out and before you put them back together again so bacteria and sugars don’t get caught in between and there are no odors or stains developing on the trays.
- No food restrictions: Unlike traditional braces wearers, those who wear Invisalign can eat whatever they want when their trays are out of their mouth. Know though that your teeth may feel tender from being moved, so crunchy and chewy foods may be more difficult to eat. Soft stuff is still a good choice.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is an all-inclusive, affordable, worthwhile investment for the right candidate. Only your Manhattan Beach Invisalign provider can tell you whether this cosmetic dentistry treatment is right for you, but the trays can correct multiple alignment issues, from underbites to overbites, gaps to crowding.
Both adults and teens may qualify for Invisalign, so if you’re interested in straightening your smile and you want the most discreet way possible to make it happen, schedule an appointment with Dr. Don Mungcal or a member of his team. Find out if this treatment is right for you.
Schedule a consultation at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA to learn more about Invisalign.The number is310-340-6663