Bleeding gums are a clear indication that something is wrong with your oral health. You may be tempted to try to wait out the problem and see if it clears up on its own, but unless you have a minor scrape to your gums caused by a sharp piece of food, chances are the problem is significant and requires dental care. The team at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, can tell you for sure if you need professional treatment for your bleeding gums.
Causes of bleeding gums
If your gums bleed regularly, don’t ignore the problem. This symptom, especially when it’s accompanied by pain or soreness, are warning signs of serious dental complications. Bleeding gums could be caused by any of the following:
- Gum disease: This is the most likely culprit for bleeding gums. Gingivitis is the earliest stage of gum disease and you may not even notice it is present, but once swelling, redness, irritation, and bleeding kick in, periodontal disease has progressed to a more advanced stage. The only effective treatment for this bacterial infection comes from your dentist who has the tools and techniques to eliminate the problem below the surface of your gums, where it lives.
- Gum recession: Gum recession can be caused by advanced gum disease, when the gums are weakened and separated from the teeth, then causing loose teeth. But gum recession can also come from chronic teeth grinding or the luck of the DNA draw, where you are born with thinner gum tissue. Receding gums are likely to bleed after brushing.
- Heavy handed brushing: Many people think that the harder they brush, the cleaner their teeth get. If the only time your gums bleed is when you brush your teeth, your technique may be to blame, and it can lead to oral health problems, like gum recession, that could otherwise have been avoided. Use a soft toothbrush and a light hand – you don’t need to press hard to clean the surface of your teeth.
Treatments for bleeding gums
Your gums cushion your teeth, support your smile, and are an essential part of your oral health. They need to be taken care of and kept healthy so your smile can remain strong. If you have bleeding gums or any gum problems, your Manhattan Beach dentist may recommend treatments like:
- Laser dentistry: High-powered laser dentistry delivers a comfortable treatment and breaks up plaque and tartar under the gum line to remove the irritants and bacteria of gum disease. Healing from this method of periodontal therapy conducted by the sophisticated Perio-Lase MVP-7 is easy and fast and even regenerates healthy gum tissue.
- Pinhole gum rejuvenation: Pinhole gum rejuvenation is a virtually painless procedure that uses special instruments to create tiny access points and guide gum tissue into the correct position, immediately restoring the appearance of the gums. Collagen strips stabilize the gums and encourage natural production of more collagen for healthier gums.
Cost factors for bleeding gums treatment
Bleeding gums call for different treatments depending on your unique circumstances and:
- The severity of your bleeding gums
- How many procedures you need to have done
- Whether you require multiple dental visits
- Whether you have dental insurance
- The type of dental coverage you have
Addressing gum problems is considered essential dental care. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, we work with our patients to develop a treatment plan that fits with your budget and comfort level so you can get the important dental care you need right away.
Visit Manhattan Beach dentist near me for bleeding gums
If you have a type of gum disease, don’t wait for your next dental check-up or hope the problem will disappear on its own. Contact Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to discuss your symptoms and schedule a consultation at our Manhattan Beach dental office.
If you have bleeding gums, contact Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to discuss your symptoms310-340-6663