Did you know that root canal treatment is generally the only way to save a tooth when decay or infection has reached the core? The team at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA shares helpful information to dispels myths about root canal therapy.
Why not choose extraction?
The center portion of a tooth is filled with vascular material and nerve tissue. When the outer structure is compromised, harmful bacteria make their way to the pulp chamber. Resulting infection builds pressure and inflames nerves. You may have a low-grade toothache that comes and goes, temperature sensitivity, or discoloration. In other cases, infection escalates quickly resulting in acute pain and abscess.
Why not just pull the tooth?
- Each component of your mouth is designed to work with the others for optimal function and oral health.
- Missing teeth allows others to shift.
- Crooked teeth impact bite, contribute to jaw strain, increase dental wear, and are difficult to keep clean.
- Without the stimulation of tooth roots, bone diminishes, affecting facial appearance.
- Most people prefer to keep their own teeth rather than having a bridge, dental implant, or denture.
- In experienced hands, root canal therapy gets you out of pain quickly, and avoids the need for extraction.
Gentle root canal treatment in Manhattan Beach, CA
Though the procedure has an undeserved reputation, there is nothing to fear from root canal therapy. It feels about like getting a filling but takes a little longer. The pain experienced is from the infection – treatment relieves it quickly. You are thoroughly numbed, and have the option of sedation.
Our team uses advanced technologies such as CT scans to develop a precise and efficient treatment plan. The tooth is opened and pulp is removed from the chamber and canals. The interior of the tooth is sanitized and sealed. Then a temporary restoration protects the tooth while your final crown is made. Most patients recover quickly and uneventfully, with the tooth remaining fully functional for many years.