Missing teeth are a cosmetic and functional problem. Each tooth in your mouth has a purpose and when one or more are missing, the entire foundation of your smile is compromised. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, we are experienced in all phases of dental implants, the most long-lasting, natural-looking solution for missing teeth.
What are dental implants?
When you lose a tooth – whether it is extracted, knocked out in an accident, or falls out because of gum disease – the supportive tooth roots go along with it. While it is possible to replace those missing teeth with a partial denture or dental bridge, these solutions only restore the crown of the tooth and the repair sits on top of your gum tissue. Dental implants, however, provide stability with a manmade tooth root firmly fused into the jawbone.
If your Manhattan Beach dentist determines that you are a good candidate for dental implants, careful preparation follows to ensure that the implant will be placed in exactly the right location. During oral surgery performed on-site at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions, the cylindrical dental implant made of biocompatible titanium alloy is implanted. Then you must wait for the incision to heal and the implant to integrate into the bone. This can take several months.
Once healing and fusing are complete, a post is inserted into the implant and topped with a porcelain crown to complete the restoration. This repair looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth. With good oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist for check-ups and cleanings, the implant can last for decades and potentially even a lifetime.
Types of dental implants
Dental implants can replace one or many teeth. Your unique oral health condition will determine what solution is right for you. But here is what’s possible:
- Single-tooth replacement: This procedure closes the space left by one missing tooth.
- Multiple-tooth replacement: There is no limit to how many individual teeth throughout the mouth can be restored with dental implants, whether molar or front tooth.
- Up to five in a row: A three- to five-tooth dental bridge can be secured onto just two dental implants for a complete smile restoration without dentures.
- Entire arch: If you are missing an entire arch of teeth across the top of your mouth, implant-supported dentures deliver comfort and stability without covering the palate or interfering with normal taste and sensation. Usually, four to six implants are put in place and dentures are affixed to them.
The importance of replacing missing teeth
If you have a missing tooth but it isn’t very noticeable, you may not be in any rush to try to restore that tooth. This is a mistake. Any gap in your smile that isn’t natural can interfere with the rest of your oral health as well as your appearance.
- Preserve facial structure: Missing teeth leave the jawbone unstimulated, which can lead to a compressed look and make you appear older.
- Eat comfortably: When you are missing teeth and tooth roots, there is less support for biting and chewing.
- Safeguard alignment: Even one space in your smile can give the remaining teeth permission to float out of their spot and ruin your alignment.
- Improve confidence: Missing teeth will make you embarrassed and self-conscious about your appearance and about speaking or smiling.
Are you a good candidate for dental implants in Manhattan Beach?
Don’t allow missing teeth to devastate the form and function of your smile. Contact Dr. Don Mungcal or Dr. James Lee at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to schedule your consultation and find out if you’re a good candidate for dental implants.
Contact Dr. Don Mungcal or Dr. James Lee at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to schedule your consultation and find out if you’re a good candidate for dental implants310-340-6663