Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
Most people who want to align their smile look at Invisalign vs. metal braces. When it comes to alignment methods, it’s good to know the pros and cons of all your options so you can select the treatment that’s best for you. If you want to straighten your teeth, your Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions cosmetic dentist in Manhattan Beach, CA, is ready to make a recommendation.
Deciding Between Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
Most people, especially adults, would prefer to have discreet braces rather than noticeable metal brackets and wires. The clear trays of Invisalign have made this alignment method incredibly popular.
No matter what kind of process you select, you’re committing to a treatment method for several months and sometimes up to a year or longer. It’s a responsibility that must be taken seriously to get the most effective results for your smile.
Here are other deciding factors to keep in mind:
- Problems solved: Invisalign and metal braces can correct the same alignment problems, whether you have an overbite, underbite, open bite, crowded teeth, spaces, or otherwise.
- Complexity matters: Though Invisalign has evolved and can be designed to treat serious misalignment, your dentist may determine that the complexity of your problems may be better suited to metal braces or a combination of the two.
- Level of freedom: Invisalign is removed from your teeth for meals and cleanings. Braces are on teeth 24/7. If you think the obligation of keeping track of trays and the amount of time they spend on your teeth is difficult, metal braces may be the better choice.
Benefits of Invisalign
Because Invisalign is a clear alignment method, it’s appealing to many adults and teens. There are plenty of other reasons people are drawn to this treatment too:
- Speedy: Average Invisalign treatment time is one year, though some cases require more time and other patients need only several months to correct minor crowding or spacing issues. People who wear metal braces often put in 18 months or longer.
- Comfortable: Thanks to the smoothness of Invisalign trays, they will not snag lips or cheeks like the archwires and brackets of metal braces.
- Permissive: You can’t take metal brackets and wires off your teeth whenever you feel like it, but Invisalign trays come out as needed, as long as they’re worn for 20 to 22 hours a day. There are no food restrictions either. Remove your trays for every meal and snack and continue to eat whatever you like whenever you like.
- Simple: Caring for Invisalign is easy. Clean the trays as directed – usually by soaking them – and clean teeth with normal brushing and flossing before putting the aligners in place.
Pros and Cons of Metal Braces
There is no denying that metal braces get the job done when it comes to straightening teeth. There are, however, some drawbacks among the positives that have people looking to Invisalign instead as their preferred alignment method. Here are just some of the pros and cons:
- Effective: Metal braces are on teeth around the clock which means the braces are working all the time and there is no chance of forgetting or losing trays.
- Restrictive: You can’t eat chewy, sticky, crunchy, or hard foods with braces or the hardware could be damaged.
- Versatile: Clear or ceramic brackets help braces look less noticeable, but for patients who like the idea of getting noticed colorful rubber bands brighten up braces.
- Frustrating: No matter what you eat, it’s bound to get stuck in the brackets and wires. Regular, meticulous cleaning with special tools is necessary to avoid damage and decay.
What Type of Alignment Method Is Right for You?
Learn everything you need to know about Invisalign vs. metal braces from Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.