Tooth-colored fillings are a versatile dental restoration and cosmetic dentistry repair. At Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions in Manhattan Beach, CA, we use tooth-colored fillings to address decay, correct problem teeth, and beautify your smile.
Problems Fixed by Tooth-Colored Fillings
Fillings are usually associated with cavities, but that is not the only problem that tooth-colored fillings can fix. If you have any of the following oral health issues, a tooth-colored filling could be the solution:
- Tooth decay
- Cracked tooth
- Chipped tooth
- Oddly shaped tooth
- Gapped teeth
- Deteriorating tooth
- Discolored tooth
Fillings not only fix an existing problem, they also prevent future problems from developing. Tooth-colored fillings stabilize teeth and make them stronger, which protects neighboring teeth from complications.
Types of Tooth-Colored Fillings
The type of filling your dentist chooses for your restoration will depend on their preferences but also the type of repair you need done. No matter what kind of tooth-colored filling you receive, it will be color-matched to your tooth enamel for a natural-looking correction that blends into your smile.
- Composite fillings: The most common material for tooth-colored fillings, a composite filling is typically used for small- or medium-sized cavities and designed to preserve as much of your natural tooth as possible.
- Porcelain fillings: Large cavities on the chewing surface of the tooth often call for a porcelain filling, which is super-strong and stain resistant.
- Inlays or onlays: Used for larger problems that need more than a typical filling but less than a crown, inlays cover the top of a tooth and onlays cover the top of the tooth and at least one cusp. An onlay is also known as a partial crown.
Silver fillings are not included in this list because, well, they do not look anything like a tooth-colored filling. Besides their obvious appearance, amalgam fillings are toxic and problematic. Not only are they made with trace amounts of mercury, over time these noticeable fillings can cause a tooth to expand, fracture it, and even lead to discoloration of the tooth and gums. Many patients who have silver fillings now choose to have them replaced with composite fillings for safety and appearance.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
When you have tooth pain or any sort of oral health problem, it is always important to have it addressed by your Manhattan Beach dentist as soon as possible. Getting the issue corrected sooner rather than later prevents further complications and bigger, more invasive repairs. Yes, getting a tooth-colored filling often requires the use of a drill and numbing agents, but the result is:
- A durable tooth: You want all your teeth to be sturdy and strong. A filling stabilizes whatever is wrong with your tooth and makes it whole again. Composite filling material bonds directly to the tooth, which offers incredible support and seals the tooth off from invasion.
- A healthy tooth: A tooth-colored filling does not compromise your tooth’s structure, it reinforces it, which means your tooth is healthier for the repair and less likely to develop problems in that same tooth later.
- A natural-looking repair: It does not matter what tooth is being treated with a filling, if you’re getting a tooth-colored restoration, it will be shaded to match the unique color of your tooth enamel so the repair will blend right into your smile.
- A long-lasting repair: A well-done filling can last for decades with good oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist for cleanings and check-ups.
Get a Tooth-Colored Filling in Manhattan Beach
If you think you might have a cavity or there is another oral health problem that is bothering you, schedule a consultation at Manhattan Beach Dental Solutions to find out what can be done for a repair. It is our goal to offer the most conservative but also the most effective option, so your oral health needs are met and your smile is always healthy and beautiful.
If you think you might have a cavity or there is another oral health problem that is bothering you. Call us at310-340-6663
and schedule a consultation.